"Unsettled" Video



I lived in downtown Manhattan during the time much of this work was made and shown. I remember seeing the Andres Serrano show at The New Museum. One of the most controversial photographs of that era, "Piss Christ" was in that exhibition. I have to say I found it much more beautiful than I expected it would be. It had the look of an old master painting that had a thick, aging, yellow varnish.

In the show "Unsettled" at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, there is a stunning Serrano photograph from his "Klansman" series that you'll want to see in person. It's quite large, as are a number of the other works including one by Barbara Kruger. Other artists in the exhibit are: Nan Goldin, Peter Hujar, Carrie Mae Weems, Lorna Simpson, Zoe Leonard, Robert Mapplethorpe and David Wojnarowicz.

While I was at the PMA I took some time to enjoy another great show, "Paris Through the Window: Marc Chagall and His Circle" that runs through July 10. Both of these exhibits are in the Perelman Building.

For more information on all of the current and upcoming exhibitions at the Philadelphia Museum of Art visit their website.

complete list of video credits