Fragments



Artists often have the same idea about something they want to try out. But making an idea work is much more difficult than coming up with a thought. Plus everyone can start with the same idea and end up at a totally different place. I am sure before there was something called abstract painting someone said to themselves, "I wonder what it would be like to make a painting with no identifiable subject matter." But pulling it off was the hard part. This leads me to fragments. People have found broken and deteriorating objects interesting for a very long time. Donald Kuspit wrote a great piece on the work of Thomas Chimes and Lynda Benglis and talks about how entropy can be beautiful.

For the past six months or so I have been working on 3D objects made out of the same materials I have been using in my paintings. Through experimentation I found little things that I liked and have spent months trying to get them larger and trying to find a way to display them. The above image shows a detail from a piece in progress. Here is a group hung together with the largest piece measuring approximately 12 inches.